httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Rob Brenart (TT)" <Rob.Bren...@tradingtechnologies.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Alias with UNC questions
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:11:54 GMT
I'm converting a Windows based Apache machine to a Linux based Apache
machine.

In my windows httpd.conf I have several aliases setup as such

Alias /share "//servername/sharename"
<Directory "//servername/share">
  Options Indexes MultiViews
  AllowOverride None
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

And they work fine.

However, the same line on the new linux box gives a 404 error... which is
what I expected since if I ping servername I get no response.  So I changed
servername to servername.domain which is a pingable resource... and I still
get a 404

Is this just an authentication issue that I need to resolve, or are UNC
paths like this not the right setup in the linux world?

I was figuring I can mount all of these shares in my fstab and then point my
alias to the mount points, but that seems like overkill to me, or is it in
fact the right approach?