httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Not able to bind to address
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:49:34 GMT
Is your system Windows or *nix??

First of all: make sure there is no other web server running on your host. Although Apache
is not started, there may be other web servers (like IIS??) If you are running *nix, you can
try "ps -ef | grep httpd". Even none apache web servers may contain the string httpd (e.g.
ns-httpd in the case of Netscape/iPlanet). On Windows, start the task manager and browse through
the running processes, and look at the list of services that are started.

Next make sure that port 80 is not bound. You can do that by starting a shell (on Windows
that would be a DOS command prompt - cmd) on the host, run netstat and look for line like
in the example below:

info 585$ netstat -an
TCP: IPv4
   Local Address        Remote Address    Swind Send-Q Rwind Recv-Q  State
*.80                  *.*                      0       0 24576      0 LISTEN
or
192.16.1.2.80         *.*                      0       0 24576      0 LISTEN

If you find such a line in the output from netstat, some process has bound the port your Apache
is trying to bind. In that case you will have to track down that process that binds it and
kill it, or you can try binding another port than 80 using the Listen directive. On *nix you
can use the lsof tool to find the process binding the port. On Windows I have no idea.

Good luck

-ascs