httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: High performance apache logging
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 18:39:07 GMT
What do you mean by system load? Is it CPU utilisation or the number of processes waiting for
the CPU including those waiting for I/O?

In any case, I would be very surprised if adding processing of Perl scripts to the equation
would improve performance...

You most probably have a disk I/O performance problem. That can be solved by investing in
faster disks (SCSI in stead of ATA, for example), or doing striping on multiple disks (RAID0).
You could even do striping across disks on different controllers.

You did not say what kind of systems you're running.

-ascs

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Josh Wyatt [mailto:josh.wyatt@hcssystems.com]
Envoyé : mercredi 5 janvier 2005 16:54
À : users@httpd.apache.org
Objet : High performance apache logging

Hi all,

I'm interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on better performing logging mechanisms for apache.
 My environment consists of four servers, load-balanced using round-robin DNS (which works
very well).  We are currently logging using just the standard local file logging, and it is
pushing system load pretty high due to our load.  I'm leaning toward something using a perl
script, a big logserver, and pipes...?

Thanks in advance,
Josh