httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Changing PATH
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 18:22:10 GMT
I made some tests and found that the PATH and TZ variables seem to be passed by default - no
passenv needed. The value of the PATH variable is that of the environment in which the server
is started. "SetEnv PATH /foobar", although not giving any errors on my Solaris system, does
nothing, which is just as well...

So if you do :
$ PATH=/foobar ; export PATH
$ /usr/local/httpd/bin/httpd -f /usr/local/httpd/conf/httpd.conf -k start

the value of the PATH environment variable passed to CGI scripts should be "/foobar". If you
have a "vanilla" installation, you can check the values of all environment variables passed
to a CGI script by requesting http://myhttpdhost/cgi-bin/printenv.

So now, back to your problem.

You say that you are running Apache as a user on your system. Since not really understanding
exactly what you mean by that, I guess that you either start and run Apache as a non-privileged
user and hence do not bind the default ports (80,443), or you start Apache as root but run
it as a different user (User directive) and expect the process to inherit from the variables
defined in that users' .profile/.cshrc or other rc.

In either case, the PATH environment variable cannot possibly be configured correctly in the
shell environment in which the server is started, otherwise it would have been available to
your CGI script with the correct value.

I suggest you make sure that apachectl is used to start Apache. Then modify /usr/local/httpd/bin/envvars
(replace /usr/local/httpd by the path where you installed Apache) so that the PATH environment
variable is set correctly and exported prior to spawning the httpd process. Then verify that
it is actually set correctly by requesting http://myhttpdhost/cgi-bin/printenv.

Example:

You can for example add the following line to /usr/local/httpd/bin/envvars:
PATH=$PATH:/foobar ; export PATH
(replace /foobar with whatever path you need...)

Then start the Apache server with the command (the $ is a shell prompt):
$ /usr/local/httpd/bin/apachectl start

-ascs