httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeff <jd...@azimapower.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Using php with Apache 2
Date Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:19:20 GMT
Mike Muratet wrote:
> Greetings
>
> The installation instructions for php contain the warning to not use php
> with Apache 2.0_x in a production environment and mentions information
> from FAQ that follows and explains why. I've read several times, and I
> can't make sense of it. I'm not sure what 'production' means in this
> context, but it seems to me that most people wouldn't build a website
> unless they intended to use it for something.
>
> So, I'm asking the list: is it safe to use php with Apache 2?
It depends on what modules you are compiling into and using with php.  The issue
is that some of the php modules are not thread safe.  Lay out what you really
need for that production server with php and then read up on the third party
modules you're going to compile in, and find out which are thread safe and which
are not.

I have apache2 in a production server running with threads and it works great,
but we limited the number of php modules to only what was needed and we knew was
thread safe.

You have other options as well. Compiling apache2 without threads(prefork) or
using 1.3x, which is still a great HTTP server.  Both have their merits.

HTH
Jeff