httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Fwd: host/virtualhost/port
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:03:50 GMT
Aaron wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a newbie and this post will show it...
>

> I installed apache2 from debian apt-get.

That's your problem.  Debian package apache in a perverse and confusing
way, probably devised four or five years ago when Apache 2.0 was the
"bleeding edge" and 1.3 was the stable version.  Everything has a "2"
in it.  Either install from apache.org source or look for documentation
in debian-land.

(BTW, while Debian is uniquely confusing, other Linux distros have
different bad practices with it.  Redhat and Gentoo throw in the kitchen
sink, while Mandrake is worst of all and still makes me shudder).