httpd-users mailing list archives

From dan <i...@hostinthebox.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Accessing web pages on tthe server by domain name.
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:31:23 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:14:28 +0000, ugunja ugunja
> <ugunjaugunja@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>I have apache running on FC1 and I acan access the web pages by ip address
>>of the server http://192.168.0.x but I am unable to configure the server so
>>that I can access the web pages by domain name e.g. http://www.mydomain.com.
>>Any help how to configure it?
>

> Most likely this has nothing to do with apache configuration and
> everything to do with DNS configuration.  You need to setup DNS to map
> your hostname to your IP address.  You'd probably have better luck
> getting information about that on a redhat-specific forum.
>
> Joshua.

Have you tried to do anything as far as resolve the domain itself?  If
you have bind tools installed, a simple "host domain.tld" will return an
IP address.  If not, try to ping it, see what IP the domain resolves to.
  If it does not resolve to an IP, then you have a DNS issue.  If it
does, then you more than likely have an Apache issue, and should heed
the advice of Evan Smith who mentioned documentation on Name-based
Virtual Hosting.

Thanks
-dant