httpd-users mailing list archives

From jdyke <jd...@azimapower.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] serving .xls files
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:03:16 GMT
Holden Tommy wrote:
> Is there a way I can force apache to open .xls files in Excel instead of the
> browser window???

you can force them to be downloaded, but if you're using IE and its opening them
in the window, that is IE not apache.  If you launched the link in Firefox, bet
it would launch XLS  If you want to force it to download, or give the user the
option to open, you can edit the mime.types file for the application/msvnd-xls
(or something like that) to force the prompt.

Jeff