httpd-users mailing list archives

From peter pilsl <pi...@goldfisch.at>
Subject [users@httpd] troubles with mod_deflate in 2.0.52
Date Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:08:25 GMT

I upgraded from 2.0.43 to 2.0.52 and decided to try mod_deflate and
compiled it as DSO.

Now I've got the feeling that it doesnt work at all. I copied the
configs from the docs to my config (inside a virtual host-section) and
apache started without troubles. Later I noticed that apache will not
complain even when I dont load the deflate-module or when I specify a
crazy name for "SetOutputFilter" like DEKKKKFLATE or whatever.

Downloadspeed did not improve, so I fired wget to check if there is
anything new to my header:

wget -S http://a.b.c
vs.
wget -S -U 'Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0' http://a.b.c

No difference. How can I detect if the module is actually in place and
working. Where to start debugging, when things dont run as I expected?
Is wget an appropriate tool to detect if the content is actually
transfered compressed?

thnx,
peter

ps: my config:

<VirtualHost x.x.x.x:80>
DocumentRoot /data/apache/knowledge/tt2
Servername a.b.c
<Location />
   SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
   BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
   BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
   # BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
   BrowserMatch \bMSI[E] !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
   SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
   \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png)$ no-gzip dont-vary
   Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
</Location>

Alias /s1  /data/apache/knowledge/tt2/bin/search_v1.pl
Alias /s1m  /data/apache/knowledge/tt2/bin/search_v1m.pl

</VirtualHost>

--
mag. peter pilsl
goldfisch.at