httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Alan Lloyd [Hosting Reserve]" <alan.ll...@hosting-reserve.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Authentication Problems
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:14:38 GMT
Boyle Owen wrote:

> The 403 is occurring because you have neither an index.html in the
> target directory nor have you allowed directory browsing (that's fine -
> just means you can't use URLs like http://tor-bay.co.uk/admin/).
>
> The link above works because you explicitly include the admin.php in the
> URL.

Yep that's how I have it set up at the moment.

> I don't know why the .htaccess fails... need to see the .htaccess. It is
> the *most* important thing in an authentication scheme so forgive me for
> being a pest and wanting to see it. I know you're *sure* it is correct,
> and maybe it is, but if you were me, would you believe you?

No I never believe anyone:) I will post as soon as I get back to my
computer. Probably be early hours GMT tomorrow.

> One thing I really don't understand is that you complain you get a 401
> when you try to access the page with .htaccess on. You are accessing via
> a browser, aren't you? And not via wget or telnet or something... tell
> me you ain't....

No just browsers. I can't seem to get a login box to pop up. It just
goes straight to the 401 message.
I will get that .htaccess file up soon. It would be nice if it were
something like that. Lets hope.

Alan