httpd-users mailing list archives

From kernel <ker...@nea-fast.com>
Subject [users@httpd] problem transfering files to apache/linux server from windows
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:25:45 GMT
Hi all !
I've run into a weird problem trying to transfer files from Windows
clients to an Apache server running on Linux. We have a windows app
which connects to a CGI and then transfers the file to the server. The
transmit times are about a 3rd of what they should be (1mb file = 16
seconds). I wrote a simple CGI which allows a user to choose a file and
then upload it and we're seeing the same kind of results. We get 6
second upload times for a 1mb file when using Linux (Opera, Mozillia,
Konquor) and 16 second times when using Windows 2000pro (IE, Mozilla,
Opera). The slow transfer time has been reproducible from 3 different
locations. 2 of the locations have dedicated T-1s with no other traffic
and they are able to pull files from the server at full speed (1mb file
= 6 seconds). When I tried downloading files from home, I'm able to get
the full 2mbs and I can ftp files at 160K/sec so we know it's not a
bandwidth problem. Any ideas or suggestions would be great !!

Apache 1.3.33 (Also reproducible with 2.0.52)
Linux kernel 2.4.21-4.EL (RedHat ES3)

Thanks!
walt