httpd-users mailing list archives

From Robert F Hall <rfh...@berkeley.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Weird Apache Memory Leak or something
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:28:54 GMT
Preston,

What is your max file handle limit per process / user set to?
We've seen some memory issues in httpd that were traceable to these limits.

-Robert

Preston Podaril wrote:

> "truss" is "trace" on Solaris
>
> Preston Podaril
> ppod@ispi.net
> Network Administrator
> ispi of Lincoln
>

> Ivan Barrera A. wrote:
>
>> Sorry, but i just need to ask..
>> where do i get "truss" ?
>>
>> Preston Podaril wrote:
>>
>>> We have been having some weird issues with Apache for several months
>>> now.  I have been trying to dig out the reason for it with truss and
>>> lsof, but I have been unable to catch anything abnormal.
>>>
>>> We are running Solaris 8.  We upgraded to Apache (mod_ssl) 1.3.33
>>> and PHP 4.3.10 a week and a half ago.  Before that we were running
>>> Apache (mod_ssl) 1.3.29 and PHP 4.3.4.  In both scenarios this
>>> problem is occurring.
>>>
>>> Our problem is that the libhttpd.ep processes appear to be leaking
>>> memory for some reason.  They also will go to sleep indefinitely (as
>>> seen in a truss).  The processes that are problematic will grow up
>>> to 80M in RES size, checking out a truss on them, doesn't seem to
>>> show anything abnormal, nothing that would denote its size getting
>>> so large.  When we get a lot of these processes between 50M and 80M
>>> the machines RAM and swap will get filled up, and then it will
>>> become fairly unusable.  I have left a truss go overnight on one of
>>> these processes that is "dead" and this is all it would show, over
>>> and over again in thet output of the truss.
>>>
>>> sigsuspend(0xFFBDDE68)      (sleeping...)
>>> signotifywait()         (sleeping...)
>>> lwp_sema_wait(0xFDF0DE30)   (sleeping...)
>>> signotifywait()                 = 16
>>> lwp_sigredirect(0, SIGUSR1, 0x00000000)     = 0