httpd-users mailing list archives

From Steelhead <b...@ries-knight.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: zombie hits from undesired sites
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:12:48 GMT
Thanks Anthony,

I don't think it is as innocent as it seems.  Given the traffic to the
server, the weblog was for only one very many sites affected, there must
be a rationale out there for doing it.  All of the server attempts seem
to apparently originate from activity.

It could also be an attempt to attack a vulnurable server.

Bill

Anthony G. Atkielski wrote:
> Brian Klug writes:
>

>>AFAIK, that doesn't gain them any Google share.  It just
>>spams your logs.
>

> If the zombies have the Google toolbar installed, Google would be aware
> of the hits; I think.  I don't know how that would benefit the referrer
> site, though.
>
> But you have to see exactly what the zombies are sending to get a better
> idea of the problem.
>
> I see zillions and zillions of attempts to connect to port 2001 on my
> server, and I don't know why.  I think it has to do with some old worm,
> but my system is not infected, and in any case the 2001 requests don't
> get past the firewall, so none of my machines ever sees them.
>
> I also get a lot of requests looking for Microsoft IIS and FrontPage
> stuff (as far as I can tell), and various other products that use a lot
> of fixed URLs to function.
>
> --
> Anthony

Bill Ries-Knight
Stockton, CA

Respect life:
Donate blood as you can.
Donate your used parts when no longer needed.