httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Sammis <csam...@cs.iastate.edu>
Subject Re: Apache2 (RedHat Enterprise) isn't logging using SetEnv VLOG
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:23:16 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

>On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:59:18 -0600, Chris Sammis <csammis@cs.iastate.edu> wrote:
>

>>A week and a half ago we transitioned to a new web server running RedHat
>>Enterprise 3 and Apache 2.0.46. We have a lot of vhosts, and they all
>>want their own logs, so we used the SetEnv VLOG method of logging.
>>However, that isn't working on the new server. VLOG log files aren't
>>getting written. Here's what I've tried:
>>

>>LogFormat "%V %h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
>>\"%{User-Agent}i\" VLOG=%{VLOG}e" vhosts
>>SetEnv VLOG ""
>>CustomLog "|/usr/sbin/split-logfile" vhosts env=VLOG
>>

>What *exactly* is this supposed to accomplish?  What is the VLOG env
>variable supposed to contain, and where does it get set?

The LogFormat line adds the %V (virtual host) to a standard log line.
The CustomLog line pipes the logging output to a script, split-logfile,
which is detailed on the Apache support pages.
The VLOG env is set to the directory where the logs are supposed to go.
If it is left blank, the split-logfile script writes the logfiles to
/var/log/httpd.

>You are obviously using a redhat-modified version of apache, so you
>mayt have better luck asing in a redhat support forum.

Perhaps, but what could have been changed between a RH version and a
stock version that would affect piping log output to files?

>Joshua.

Chris Sammis
Mobile: 515-450-9553
On the Web: http://csammisrun.net
"Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes" -- E. J.
Dijkstra