httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ivan Barrera A." <Br...@Ivn.cl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] case insensitive using basic authentication
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:46:23 GMT
> My first implementation used stricmp(), which like Ivan said, may not be a
> valid/popular C function too. I found from other apache websites that some
> times "mod_xxxx could not be loaded" can be caused by not finding the
> required library files. I thought strlen() was more popular than stricmp(),
> so I changed to the second implementation. The second one was still not
> working.
strlen is pretty common.

> This morning I changed to the third implementation, which copies the
> original user string into a temporary char[] of mine own and makes the
> temp_user to all lower case, then do the comparasion using strcmp(). This
> time it worked!
strcasecmp is faster.. but what you did is correct :)

> I am still confused about two things:
>
> 1. why didn't I get any compile/link error messages the first time (with
> stricmp()) ? I was only looking at the log messages as the screen flys by.
> And I found a newly built mod_auth under ~www/modules directory after the
> build. So I thought everything was fine. My question is: what place should I
> look for compile/build error messages?
Im not sure, but may be in someplace a directive that sets the linked to
not look if a function exists.. so in runtime, it just segfaults.

> 2. what exactly went wrong with the second implementation? The only external
> function I used was strlen(), I don't expect it had any errors too. So...
You didnt post the exact error you got.. But i got your code working
fine (in a little example below).
Also, remember to set both strings to lowercase, not just the first.
btw,you'll be better using ==0 for checking if a string is equal.

i did the following example.

#include "string.h"

int main() {
  int i;
  char str_in_the_file[50] = "testing some weird thing";
  char user_str[50] = "TeStIng sOME wEiRD ThinG";

  for (i=0;i<strlen(user_str);i++) {
    if (user_str[i] >='A' && user_str[i]<='Z') {
      user_str[i]  += ('a' - 'A');
    }
  }

  printf("\nTesting strings : \n\n%s\n%s\n",user_str,str_in_the_file);
  printf("\nBoth strings are : ");

  if (strcmp(user_str, str_in_the_file)==0) printf("the same\n\n");
  else                                      printf("different\n\n");

  return(1);

}

And it worked fine. ( the same )