httpd-users mailing list archives

From "wnorth" <wno...@verizon.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Mod_mem_cache
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:01:26 GMT
Sorry about that, won't happen in the future.

Regarding why we were trying to use mod_mem_cache, mainly because we didn't
understand just what you stated below. If it's only use is to cache dynamic
content that doesn't change much but takes forever to compile, then that is
not what we are trying to do. Would it be more advantageous to simply
provide an alias within apache for the images and allow it to serve up
content versus caching?

Also, you made an interesting comment about the mod_disk_cache, my concern
with using that was the constent requests to the O/S, but if your telling me
that there may be a performance increase using that versus mod_mem_cache
(only dealing with dynamic content), it might be worthwile to test it out.
We tried using the CacheEnable fd /somedir and while I saw that caching was
working it was using in conjunction with the mem directive so I imagine
there may have been some overlap there.

At any rate, I'll run some additional tests and see what the response time
is like. Thanks again for the great response.

-Wes

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Slive [mailto:jslive@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 7:45 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Mod_mem_cache

Please don't post your entire httpd.conf.  Just the parts the you think are
relevant will do fine.

First question: why are you using mod_mem_cache in the first place?
I'm not at all surprised that mod_mem_cache would slow down the sending of
static files.  Apache's core handler will, if your OS supports it, use
zero-copy sendfile to pass off all the hard work to the OS when sending
static files.  The OS does its own caching, and can often deliver stuff much
faster than apache could.

Memory caching would really only be useful for dynamic content that takes a
long time to generate but doesn't change frequently.  And some people
believe that even this would be better handled with mod_disk_cache, since
that again allows the OS to help out.

You may have more luck caching file-descriptors with mod_mem_cache; see:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_cache.html#cacheenable

Joshua.