httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joe Smith <apn...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] LimitRequestBody setting to maximize the upload file size (please help)
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 02:20:35 GMT
I added the line LimitRequestBody 204800000 in both the server section and virtual host section
in
/usr/HTTPServer/conf/httpd.conf, in order to maximize the upload file size. It is still not
working, I couldn't see any other configurations there.

Please advise if anyone knows this. I really appreciate it. thanks!!

This is the portion of the file:

Timeout 300
LimitRequestBody 204800000
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100

//etc...

# Disable HTTP Trace
<VirtualHost cidc2903.axt.com>
ServerName cidc2903.axt.com
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^TRACE
RewriteRule .* - [F]
LimitRequestBody 204800000
</VirtualHost>

Leif W <warp-9.9@usa.net> wrote:
> Joe Smith; 2005 January 07 Friday 10:52
>
> I added the line LimitRequestBody 204800000 to
> /usr/HTTPServer/conf/httpd.conf, in order to maximize the upload file

First of all, is that the correct context? According to the manual (
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#limitrequestbody ), this
directive can appear in the main server config or in virtual server (
) sections. It may be that you have put the directive in
the main server config, yet you're trying to control the VirtualHost and
it's not being seen or inherited. I do not know if this directive in a
server context will automatically be inherited by a virtual server. It
may be. Perhaps someone else can shed light upon that behavior.

> size. Currently, the Apache web server returns HTTP response
> "HTTP/1.1 413 Request Entity Too Large" immediately to the browser if
> file size > 10MB.

Second of all, there may be other mechanisms which are limiting file
upload size besides Apache. Are you using a specific script to upload
the file? The scripting engine (such as PHP) can configure and impose
its own file upload limitations, for instance, and an upload script may
be written in such a way as to produce an error response with headers as
you've shown. So can Perl's CGI.pm module.

> Even I added LimitRequestBody setting, and restarted the server by
> sudo
> /usr/HTTPServer/bin/apachectl stop, sudo /usr/HTTPServer/bin/apachectl
> start, it is still unable to upload a huge file size.
>
> By the way, this is the HTTP response:
> HTTP/1.1 413 Request Entity Too Large
> Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 00:25:50 GMT
> Server: IBM_HTTP_SERVER/1.3.26.2 Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)
> Connection: close
> Transfer-Encoding: chunked
>
> any ideas? please help. thanks!!

If you change an Apache config, and do not see the expected results,
it's either the wrong config file, wrong context, possibly wrong syntax
(even though a syntax check is OK and Apache starts without error
messages and runs normally except for the behavior you're trying to
modify), or possibly something outside of Apache. If it is within
Apache, check your error logs to see and verify at what point the
failure occurs if it's caused by Apache.

Leif