httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dick Davies <rasput...@hellooperator.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Directory directive in Vhost
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:15:28 GMT
* Aman Raheja <araheja@techquotes.com> [0112 14:12]:
> I have a vhost config as follows
>
> <VirtualHost 10.0.0.22:80>
>  ServerName www.mydom.com
>  ServerAdmin admin@mydom.com
>  DocumentRoot "/home/web/instance/htdocs/carter"
>  ErrorLog "logs/instance/error_log"
>
>  LogLevel warn
>  CustomLog "logs/instance/access_log" "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b
> \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-agent}i\" \"userid=%{Cookie}n\""
>
>  <Directory "/home/web/instance">
>    AllowOverride None
>    Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks Includes
>    Order Deny,Allow
>    Allow from All
>    AddOutputFilter INCLUDES  .htm .html .ssi
>  </Directory>
>
> </VirtualHost>
>

> What I am questioning is the Directory directive, which is configured to
> be /home/web/instance, while the doroot for the vhost is
> /home/web/instance/htdocs/carter. If I am right I think that Directory
> directive should be /home/web/instance/htdocs/carter,

I'd have thought so yeah. Effectively the directory option block says
'run everything under here as a cgi' which is a bit odd , especially for
files that aren't readable by the browser. (though maybe they are called by
aliases). This will also mean that all files in the docroot will run as though

they are cgis (which is a bit strange for GIFs, say).

Assuming that this *is* a vhost full of cgis, then setting the two paths
equal makes sense.

> if I want to have
> everything accessible to have those directory properties and all the
> subdirectories under /home/web/instance don't mean to be anything since
> they are below the docroot. Or does this have any other consequence ?

Really depends how the rest of the server is setup - as I said, you might
have cgis under /home/web/instance which will no longer run if you set directory
= "/home/web/instance/htdocs/carter"

--
'With that big new contract, I've been able to make those government mandated
upgrades you've all been suing me about.'