httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dick Davies <rasput...@hellooperator.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Blocking http requests to certain URLs.
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:46:34 GMT
* Christopher J. Bottaro <cjbottaro@alumni.cs.utexas.edu> [0107 07:07]:
> > Christopher, what do you want to happen when someone goes to those
> > domains?
>
> Hmm, I guess I would like the standard "Not Found" page to be displayed.
>
> > Probably easiest to put something in the default DocumentRoot (up
> > in 'Section 2' of httpd.conf) which asks people to use the correct name or
> > whatever, and then create a virtual host for www.mydomain.net.
>
> Sounds like a plan:  make all domains give the "Not Found" page, except for
> www.mydomain.net by making a virtual host for it.  Ok, I think I can figure
> out the virtual host thing by reading the manual, but how about that "Not
> Found" page thing?

Following the 'do the simplest thing that could possibly work' philosophy,
just plonk an index.html into that default docroot.
It could have a list of the vhosts that exist or similar, perhaps?

This is then effectively your default vhost, where everything goes by
default. When you add a new <VirtualHost> entry, then requests for that
ServerName will end up there.

--
'This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'
		-- Arthur Dent