httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dick Davies <rasput...@hellooperator.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] we dont' need no steenkin docroot
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:41:10 GMT
* Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> [0123 12:23]:
> EnigmailDick Davies wrote:

> | I have a subversion repo vhost, it looks like this:
> |
> | <VirtualHost repo.box>
> |         ServerName repo.box
> |         ServerAdmin rasputnik@hellooperator.net
> |
> |         # subversion repos
> |         <Location /repos>
> |           DAV svn
> |           SVNParentPath /path/to/repos
> |         </Location>
> | </VirtualHost>

> | This will absolutely refuse to work because I have no documentroot
> | defined anywhere in httpd.conf.
>
> What error message(s) are you receiving when you try?

403s all over the shop.  Also a wierd

client denied by server configuration: /www/

in the apache error log, which I assume is the compile time default docroot
on this build.

> | ..... silly bit. In order for this to work, I need an
> | 'Allow from all' somewhere (this is a snippet, we have *plenty* of
> security
> | here in reality). But 'Allow from all' applies to Directory entries, *not*
> | Location entries, so I need a new section to get subversion working:
>
> You can put Allow and Deny directives in Location sections.

Then the docs need fixing, http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_access.html#allow
says its directory (and .htaccess) only.

> server-status and server-info, for example. What error messages(s) are
> you receiving when you try this?

First thing I do on a new install is prune out all the crap in the default httpd.conf,
which in my case includes server-status and server-info :)

Thanks a lot, Rich - all working now with a simple allow/deny pair, and I can lose
that voodoo docroot..

--
'...and then we wrote scripts to write the configs for us, and using
these scripts, we made mistakes in a faster, more automated manner.'