httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dick Davies <rasput...@hellooperator.net>
Subject [users@httpd] we dont' need no steenkin docroot
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2005 22:45:16 GMT

Hi, there - long time poster, first time asker....

I have a subversion repo vhost, it looks like this:

<VirtualHost repo.box>

        ServerName repo.box
        ServerAdmin rasputnik@hellooperator.net

        # subversion repos
        <Location /repos>
          DAV svn
          SVNParentPath /path/to/repos
        </Location>

</VirtualHost>

This will absolutely refuse to work because I have no documentroot
defined anywhere in httpd.conf.

More precisely, it seems to be because I have a

<Directory />
    AllowOverride None
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny from all
</Directory>

up in section 2, so any filesystem access will fail.

Lets' leave aside the fact that we aren't really touching the fs here, and
move on to the really silly bit. In order for this to work, I need an
'Allow from all' somewhere (this is a snippet, we have *plenty* of security
here in reality). But 'Allow from all' applies to Directory entries, *not*
Location entries, so I need a new section to get subversion working:

DocumentRoot /opt/www/defaulthost/docs
<Directory /opt/www/defaulthost/docs>
    Options Indexes
    AllowOverride None
    Order Deny,Allow
    Allow from all
</Directory>

This is defined up in section 2 - I suppose I can stick a 'there is no content
on this server. go away.' message up there, but it's a hack and a half, isn't it?

I mean, the Directory mentioned has no relation to the SVNParentPath mentioned,
it's not even it's parent, so why does the change above suddenly allow access?

Have I missed a trick, or is this just a bit clanky?
(This looks like an old assumption somewhere in apache that every request path
will map to a file/directory eventually, which is'nt true in a lot of cases - so
does mod_proxy code around this, for example?)

Is there another equivalent for a Directory's Allow attribute i can use?

--
'When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite.'
		-- Winston Churchill, On formal declarations of war