httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Nelson, Robert D." <RDNel...@Mail.Donaldson.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Directory directive in Vhost
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:26:49 GMT
Aman:

> >  <Directory "/home/web/instance">
> >    AllowOverride None
> >    Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks Includes
> >    Order Deny,Allow
> >    Allow from All
> >    AddOutputFilter INCLUDES  .htm .html .ssi
> >  </Directory>
> >
> > </VirtualHost>
> >

> > What I am questioning is the Directory directive, which is
> configured to
> > be /home/web/instance, while the doroot for the vhost is
> > /home/web/instance/htdocs/carter. If I am right I think
> that Directory
> > directive should be /home/web/instance/htdocs/carter,
>
> I'd have thought so yeah. Effectively the directory option block says
> 'run everything under here as a cgi' which is a bit odd ,
> especially for
> files that aren't readable by the browser. (though maybe they
> are called by
> aliases). This will also mean that all files in the docroot
> will run as though
>
> they are cgis (which is a bit strange for GIFs, say).

I'm not sure what you two are talking about, but that's not what that config
snippet does. Having 'Options ExecCGI' in the location block allows for CGI
to be executed there. However, that does not mean that everything will be
served via CGI. To execute every file as CGI you'd need to also have a
'SetHandler cgi-script'. Otherwise, Apache executes files via CGI based on
the file extension as in 'AddHandler cgi-script .cgi'.

Take a look at the docs: http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/cgi.html

 ~ Robert