httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] problem accessing virtual hosts from local network(Linux)
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:09:10 GMT
> Evan Smith; 2005 January 14 Friday 07:06
>
> If you are using NAT you cannot access your external IP from inside
> your network.

While this is historically true and conceptually true in the most
literal sense, it is apparent that found a workaround.  With Linux
kernel 2.6, you can do just this.  I completely disabled my local DNS
and from a LAN node I was able to ping the gateway node using it's
external IP.  I was able to hit the Apache server.  The kernel team must
have figured out some hack, where if I would route to myself from the
LAN's internal interface to the external interface with the IP MASQ /
NAT, then pass the response back to the internal interface.

Leif