httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ForceType not working properpy for httpd-2.0.52-3.1
Date Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:58:08 GMT
> Dick Davies; 2005 January 17 Monday 06:45
>* Thomas Campbell <apache@evasive.com> [0113 00:13]:
>> Ok, gotta ask the question I was avoiding.. how do I do that?
>
> A simple way is just
>
> telnet server 80
> GET /path/to/a/file/in/that/dir HTTP/1.0
> <enter again>
>
> and read the 'content-type' apache sends.

You can simplify this by using HEAD instead of GET, to get just the
headers, and not the content, which might otherwise make headers scroll
off the screen or dump binary and beep and corrupt the terminal and suck
bandwidth.

If using a Name Based Virtual Host (as opposed to IP Based Virtual
Host), then you need to send the Host header and specify HTTP/1.1 .
Note that case is sensitive for Host (not HOST or hOsT).

==== begin input ====
telnet server 80
HEAD /path/to/file HTTP/1.1
Host: server

==== end input ====

It may be handy to write a shell script or bat file (or some other
windows scripting technique) to extract the server name (stuff after ://
and before the next /) and send the Host header and HTTP/1.1 HEAD
request.

Leif