httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] problem accessing virtual hosts from local network(Linux)
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:12:15 GMT
> Martijn Veening; 2005 January 12 Wednesday 16:43
>
> On our server we are hosting several virtual domains.
> When configuring a new account I cannot test whether or not it's
> working. When I type the url in the browser, it waits endlessly.
> I cannot access our own hosted virtual domains from our server itself
> (or local network).
> I'm sure it must have something to do with loopback or hosts, or
> perhaps
> firewall, but I cannot figure out what.
> Specs: Linux 2.4 + httpd 2.0,
> static IP/DHCP (ADSL),
> in /etc/hosts only 127.0.0.1 configured as localhost (should it
> contain
> all virtual domains as well ?),
> httpd.conf contains ServerName detri015.speed.planet.nl:80.
>
> If my request goes to the internet and back to our server, which
> should
> respond to itself as well, based on virtual domains, could that be a
> problem in itself ? Or is it a simple configuration problem ?

My guess is a Linux routing problem, not Apache.  So, try to isolate
Apache functionality from general IP routing.

1) Configure a test virtual host and listen and namevirtualhost on
127.0.0.1, and log into that machine and try to access the test site.
My guess is that it will work fine.  If so, it's not Apache, it's Linux
routing.  I forget if there's a specific rule you need to add, or if
it's just plain broken.  I worked around the problem by setting up
dnsmasq, use it as the DNS server for the LAN machines, optionally as
DHCP, but static is fine.  Put the LAN's host names and internal IPs
(ex. 192.168.1.12, etc) into /etc/hosts, and dnsmasq will read it and
resolve to internal IPs.

2) From the gateway machine itself, try to ping 127.0.0.1.  Try to ping
its external address (ex. 11.22.33.44), probably succeeds.  Try to ping
the gateway, probably succeeds or you'd be offline.  :p  Try to ping DNS
servers, probably succeeds.  Go inside the LAN, and from a LAN computer,
ping the internal gateway (ex. 192.168.1.1), probably succeeds (again
otherwise you'd be offline).  Try to ping the external IP of the gateway
(11.22.33.44), probably fails (otherwise HTTP or anything else would
work).  For another example, read the Perl man pages and write a very
simple client/server of your own, which simply listens for a connection
and prints a static response.  Put the client and server on both
machines, and try it both ways, probably works every way except with
client on LAN, server on gateway, listening to external IP.  Double
check your iptables rules.  Try upgrading to kernel 2.6.  I think I
remember this not working in 2.2 and 2.4, but it worked all of a sudden
in 2.6 with no changes to my iptables rules.

Leif