httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Authentication Problems
Date Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:51:40 GMT
> Boyle Owen; 2005 January 18 Tuesday 10:57
>
> BTW, did you take note of the command-line technique for hitting the
> page via telnet? It's an indispensible tool for seeing how the server
> is
> really responding...

That's exactly how I learned.  But if you happen to notice, an HTTP/1.0
request was sent, not a HTTP/1.1 with a Host header, which most browsers
today will do.  It can be cumbersome to type all of this in Windows,
with the default telnet local echo turned off, without making any typos,
especially for longer URLs and with query strings.  If you use Mozilla
or Mozilla Firefox, then check out the Live HTTP Headers extension.
It's one of the best extensions for seeing what the browser is really
seeing as it sees it.  Writing a shell script or batch file to pluck out
the host name and send a host header along with an HTTP/1.1 request
would also be handy.  I have no idea of similar extensions to other
browsers, but that is the ideal point at which to capture data.  However
if the browser is in question, sometimes it helps to get a "raw" telnet
response, but this isn't easy (if it's even possible) for HTTPS via
SSL/TLS.

Leif