httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Configuring problem with Unix installation
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:25:31 GMT
> Pandian Puviyarasan-A21240; 2005 January 27 Thursday 23:03
>
> I downloaded 2.0.52 for UNIX and put all the files in
> /users/myhome/httpd-2.0.52. Then I ran the configure command in my
> SunOS 5.8, as per the instructions specified, with
> --prefix=/users/myhome/httpd-2.0.52/apache_installation and after
> about 20 lines of output I got this error:

> checking for chosen layout... apr
> checking for gcc... gcc
> cat: cannot open confdefs.h
> checking for C compiler default output... Can't open conftest.c
> See `config.log' for more details.
> configure failed for srclib/apr
>
> As such, when I go through the configure file, it looks like the file
> creates its own test .c and .h files for checking. I could not make it
> out why this error is coming up. I couldn't make out much of the
> config.log file also.
>
> Any advice on how I can rectify this situation? Does it have to do
> with the directory structure? Permissions? Is that related to my PATH?

Well, I do not have the absolute answer, and have no idea about SunOS,
but can comment on some things.

* It's uncommon to install the compiled binary under the source tree.  I
have NEVER seen this done with Apache.  I have no idea if it might break
anything, but it couldn't hurt to try a different structure.  Perhaps at
least put the source code in /users/myhome/src/httpd-2.0.52 and install
the compiled binaries (location specified by the --prefix) in
/usres/myhome/httpd-2.0.52 .

* What is confdefs.h, and why can't it be opened?

* Are you near or over quota?  Maybe some files weren't extracted
properly, or you're so close to the limit that you can't create new
files during the configure process.

* Can your shell find the C compiler found by the configure script
(gcc)?  Try "which gcc" or "type -a gcc" and "gcc --version" and
"gcc -v".  You should see some junk printed.  "Reading from specs..."
and "Configured with ...".

* Can the C compiler found by the configure script (gcc) compile any C
code under that user name in that location?  Write a very simple "hello
world" program in C.  Place the file in that location.  Use gcc to
compile that program.

* Maybe SunOS 5.8 needs to use another compiler.  Have you checks the
documents for specific compilation or build instructions for that OS?

* My guess is that if there is any useful information in the config.log
file, it would be near the end.  So I would specifically go to the end
and search going up for the terms that were sent to the console (via
STDOUT or STDERR) as mentioned above.

I hope this helps to further diagnose the problem.

Leif