httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Problem with Apache 2
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:04:59 GMT
> Tito Daly; 2005 January 27 Thursday 18:52
>
> any possitive results.  If you feel that my message/request does not
> belong here or that I am abusing this list, I apologize in advance.

You've got the right place.  I would only strongly advise that you post
in plain-text.  Not only is it easier for people to read with text-only
browsers, it looks better in the archives for future reference.  It may
increase the chance that someone will respond.

> To the point, the problem that I am experiencing is that I get a :
>
> Permission denied at /var/www/cgi-bin/xxx.pl line 82., referer:
> http://www.any.com/cgi-bin/yyy.pl
>
> I get this message when trying to open a file for writing (a new file)
> in any given directory.
>
> I know that this is not a permissions issue as I don't get this if
> xxx.pl gets called by a regular html file or if xxx.pl gets called
> directly.
>
> The problem seems to be related to the fact that the "referer" is
> another cgi script.

Offhand I do not know what could cause this as I have not seen it in my
experience, so I would look for more information.

* Is this the only error message in the log files produced or captured
by Apache?  Check the server's access_log, errors_log, and also if you
configured any logs per VirtualHost, then check those too.  If you're
using suexec, check that log file as well.

* Has the Perl script been written to refuse any specific client headers
such as the referer or restrict script based on IP or any other access
conditions?

* You might try to use a command-line utility to query the page.  You
would send your GET or POST data (either stored in a file or on the
command line, depending on the tool and technique you use) and you could
manually tweak the headers.  This would let you to more accurately
determine if the permission denied is caused by something in the script
headers.  There's tools like wget or curl which might be of use.  Since
you mention Perl scripts, you could also do this entirely within Perl or
any other programming language with which you are comfortable.

I'm not aware of any Apache default setting that would prevent a request
for a script based on referer.  I'm not sure exactly how, but it is
probably possible to configure Apache to do this, but probably not
pre-configured by default.  Although I have not seen the RedHat version,
so I can't rule this out either.

Leif