httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache not accepting outside connections
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:29:28 GMT
> FayeC Apache; 2005 January 27 Thursday 18:39
>
>I have Apache set up (and working locally) with PHP and MySQL.
> I have a Mambo site here I am working on and can easily connect to by
> using the default http://localhost/Folder to load the site.
> I then tried to show the site to a friend and I provided him with
> http://my.real.IP.address/Folder so he could check it out but it
> doesn't go anywhere...he said he gets a 404.
> I had shut down my firewall and confirmed that my connection was not
> windows firewalled.
> What am I missing?

Are you using Apache 1.3.x or 2.0.x?  At the very least, Listen,
additionally a Port for Apache 1.3.x.  If you are using any VirtualHost,
and they are name based or IP based, then NameVirtualHost, and add the
external IP to the list of each VirtualHost IPs.  Name based is when you
use one IP for more than one site and IP based is when you use a
different IP for each site.  Read the docs about Listen, Port,
NameVirtualHost and VirtualHost.  The docs should have been installed
locally at http://localhost/manual/ , or you can find them on
http://httpd.apache.org/ .  If you have a dynamic IP, you might use * or
0.0.0.0 for the IP address, and then it will apply to all IP addresses.

Leif