httpd-users mailing list archives

From Matthew Peltzer <goochru...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: redirect all requests to /dev/null
Date Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:14:59 GMT
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:53:41 -0500, Sean T Allen <sean@usaherbals.com> wrote:
>  Perhaps he is proxying through his server?

Uh... perhaps, its more like i'm setting some partial DNS rules for
myself.  Allow me to be more explicit:  most of the ads I see (such as
on slashdot.org) are images that are hosted on an external site (such
as 'http://ads.osdn.com').  The entry in /etc/hosts then would be
"127.0.0.1 ads.osdn.com", which makes my browser look at my loopback
address for the specified file.

In some cases there actually is a file that is being requested, but in
others the URL is simply of the fom
'http://$hostname/?$list-of-params".  In both cases I want to
configure apache to resolve to /dev/null, or some other file of my
choosing.

Maybe apache isn't the right tool for the job, but it seems rather
appropriate in this case.  Doing browser-level blocking isn't
acceptable as I don't ever want to fetch these advers, regardless of
the user agent I may be using (i.e., consider curl or wget).

-- Matthew Peltzer
-- goochrules@gmail.com