httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] process handling
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:10:49 GMT
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:57:06 -0800 (PST), Zeeshan Maqbool
<zeeshanhaqz@yahoo.com> wrote:
> hi
>
> Current configuration which is working :
>
> Apache - mod_lisp - Lisp process .
>
> The web page doesnt have much to offer but just 3
> frames and only 1 where one can enter a string and
> press submit. The problem is when it loads 3 frames it
> creates 3 processes on LISP side. When I interact with
> the form it creates more processes and with time more
> processes are created and none of them is killed. So
> the questions are :
>
> 1) Does Apache create new process for EVERY request?
> 2) Apache has nothing to do with memory handling
> (pretty sure about it, but still) ?
> 3) How does Perl handles multiple proccesses generated
> by Apache. My view is as its a multi-threading
> language as compared to Lisp (multi-processed) so its
> easy for Perl to handle threads. And which ever thread
> has no use(outdated) it can be killed easily (as they
> have a common ancestor to keep track).

You should really address these questions to the mod_lisp developers.
Modules like mod_lisp tie directly into the apache process, and can
hence do whatever they want.

If you are asking how other languages do it, then there are really two choices:

1. Anything can run via CGI.  This interface will start a new process
for every request.

2. Some languages like perl also have modules (mod_perl) that allow
them to run internally to the apache process.  Hence they will not
start a new process with every request, but will reuse the process or
thread that is currently serving the request.

How mod_lisp does it, I have no idea.

Joshua.