httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Perl or mod_perl
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 18:46:45 GMT
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 13:34:14 -0500, Thomas J. Holmes Jr.
<tom@tomholmes.net> wrote:
> I have a Windows 2000 machine with Apache 2.0.52 and Tomcat 5.0.29 (with
> mod_jk2_2.0.43.dll) working just fine together.  I even added PHP5 and
> that works just fine being served from Apache.
>
> Now, I started by adding a hitcounter.cgi to my cgi-bin foler and
> created a .shtml file to execute it.  I googled, used the Apache User
> archives, and it finally dawned on me that I need Perl in order to
> execute this .cgi file .... is this correct?

Only if hitcounter.cgi is written in perl.  The top line should tell you.

> So, I'd like to add mod_perl.so

No you don't.  I'd suggest the following:

1. Find a hit-counter written in php or java.  No need adding a bunch
of complicated stuff you don't understand when you already have a
language capable of doing what you want; or

2. Download perl only, not mod_perl.  mod_perl is not needed to
execute perl scripts.  It is needed only to tie perl directly into
apache for speed and flexibility.  It would be overkill for your
particular use.

I'm not a win32 perl expert, but I'd say your best bet is probably
Activeperl, which is supposed to be well packaged.

(Your last option is to forget about script hit-counters, which tend
to make your site look ver 1998.  Just use a log analysis program to
check the hits by processing your access.log.)

Joshua.