httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Protected directories by access.conf not visible
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 15:51:14 GMT
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:35:05 +0100, Jean-Philippe BATTU
<jean-philippe.battu@bull.net> wrote:

> Hi Tim !
>
> Thanks for your quick help
>
> "rep1" is not visible means I can't see the rep1 in my brower
> when I try to browse the directory where rep1 is. I can see the
> other directories because I don't have index.html file at the same
> level as rep1.
>
> What should happen ?
> I would like to see this directory and when I click on it, a window
> should be popup to ask me the password. Note if I type the full
> url:  http://my_linux_box/livraison/rep1, a window popup appears
> and apache asked me the passwd. Therefore ? I can enter in this
> directory

This was a security change made in apache 2.  It is not, in general, a
good idea to reveal the existence of secured areas that people don't
have the right to access.

In 2.1 (the development version), there is an option to turn this off
with the "ShowForbidden" IndexOption:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/mod/mod_autoindex.html#indexoptions

Joshua.