httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Kaplowitz <fascistad...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] enable-rule=SHARED_CORE only allows 256 MaxClients?
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:44:53 GMT
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:35:17 -0500, Joshua Slive <jslive@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:45:04 -0500, User X <fascistadmin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've changed the src/httpd.h "HARD_SERVER_LIMIT" from 256 to 2048.
> > Whenever I compile with the --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE option, the
> > MaxClients is limited to 256. If I omit that one option and compile
> > with (or without) any of the other options, the server compiles fine
> > and the MaxClients is set to 2048, as I intended.
>
> Just a guess, but perhaps you aren't properly installing everything.
> With SHARED_CORE, there is more stuff to install.  Try compiling and
> installing fresh with a different --prefix.
>
> Joshua.

Hi Joshua, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure which stuff you're
refering to that I'd need to install. The documentation that I'm
finding scouring the web and apache's site is telling me that
something as simple as:

$ ./configure --prefix=/path/to/install
              --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE

should be enough. I've basically confirmed that any system I have
access to limits MaxClients to 256 with this option in the config
options. And without it, I can up the MaxClients to whatever I want
(well honestly I've not tried more than 2048). I'm assuming this is
some kind of bug, unless I'm missing something really obvious here.

What I can't believe is that there aren't other people running larger
sites with this option enabled and haven't run into it before. I'm
willing to be wrong here, but everything I do points back to some
limitation in this setting.

Is there anything more detailed than this doc
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/dso.html) that you know about?

Thanks,

Dave