httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Willingham, Shaun" <usene...@plc.mb.ca>
Subject [users@httpd] Problem with mod_deflate
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 04:48:46 GMT
Hi all,

I have an issue with mod_deflate, running on Apache 2.0.52.

Until today, I'd been running 2.0.48 with php/mysql no problem. One of the
users on my discussion forum pointed out that zip files were corrupted,
when they attempted to download from my server.

I isolated the problem to mod_deflate. Apparently compressed binaries
don't like being compressed a second time. Alright, makes sense - I
thought I'd just add a filter to my httpd.conf to not compress .zip, .exe,
.pdf, etc. This didn't work.

I upgraded to Apache 2.0.52 and updated the zlib lib to 1.2.1. Now when I
run apache while loading mod_deflate, I get this error:

Syntax error on line 266 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/apache/modules/mod_deflate.so into server:
/usr/local/apache/modules/mod_deflate.so: undefined symbol: deflate

I haven't changed anything. It was working fine before. I figured apache
couldn't find zlib, so I specified where it was at compile time.

Here's the vital info...

My apache configuration directive:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-module=so --enable-modules=all
--enable-mods-shared=all --enable-deflate --with-zlib=/usr/local/zlib

Here's part of my httpd.conf where mod_deflate is loaded: (I won't post the
whole thing..)

LoadModule deflate_module      modules/mod_deflate.so

--

Apache works fine if I leave the mod_deflate.so commented out, but I need this
module!

Has anyone else had a similar/identical problem? What did you do to fix it?

I tried downgrading the zlib library, but same results.