httpd-users mailing list archives

From apa...@valli.org
Subject [users@httpd] Apache overloaded message
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:40:56 GMT
Hi all,
How can I configure apache (1.3.xx) webserver, that it sends a small
message like 'I'm currently overloaded. Please try it later again'?

I think apache should send this message if MaxClients (configured in
httpd.conf) is reached.

I've done some tests but unforunatelly without success.
Here is one:
According to http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html
I tried the following in my apache-config:
MaxClients 32
ErrorDocument 503 "OVERLOADED: try later again

Now I produced a lot of requests
# ab -n 200 -c 200 http://myurl/

During ab is running I connected with a webbrowser to http://myurl/.
=> The webbrowser now tried to load the site
=> Finally (after a very long waiting) i receive the site

That's not what I want. I excepted to receive in a short time
the answer "OVERLOADED: try later again"

Any Ideas?

PS: Sorry for may bad english, hope you understand what I mean