httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jay O'Brien <jayobr...@att.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Help with trailing slash - RESOLVED
Date Fri, 31 Dec 2004 02:01:07 GMT
Leif,

I installed LiveHTTPHeaders as you suggested and find it extremely
interesting. What I don't understand is why sometimes the live HTTP
headers window doesn't update; I suspect it has to do with displaying
cached pages. However, on some pages I can hit refresh and the headers
window will update.

I corrected the problem with my client computer, and I now agree with
you that the Apache server is working fine. I even changed the ServerName
back to 192.168.1.9, and it still works fine, as apparently the router
changes it to 66.93.180.184. I also went back to CanonicalName On and it
continues to work fine. Please take another look at it now that I've
made these changes and restarted Apache.

Later I will consider changing the ServerName back to the real IP. This
change was made trying to recreate the trouble once it was cleared.

Apparently there were two instances of Mozilla running in my client
computer; one of them was looking for 192.168.1.9/rl/ and couldn't find
it. Once I rebooted the client computer everything worked fine. What had
me going was that the client computer worked fine without the trailing
slash when it was looking at my "real" web site, not at the new one
at 66.93.180.184. I was really convinced the problem was in the Apache
setup; I was wrong.

I shut Mozilla down on the client computer after installing live HTTP
headers; when I tried to restart and selected my profile it told me that
profile was busy. I shut Moz down, and sure enough, task manager said
Moz was still running! That's when I rebooted the client and the problem
went away.  I was not able to figure out what I did to cause the trouble.

Thank you very much for helping me to diagnose the problem! You were
convinced Apache was working correctly, and you were right.

Jay O'Brien
Rio Linda, California USA

PS... What part of the world are you in?

Leif W wrote:
>I have no idea why.  :p  Try reformatting the hard disk and
>reinstalling
>everything on the client machine, becaused that's just not right.
>;-)
>Joking.

(This would have fixed the trouble!)