httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bob Smith <bsm...@sudleyplace.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Problem With Piped ErrorLog
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:29:59 GMT
I can't seem to get piped ErrorLogs to work more than once or twice.

Environment:

FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p27 #33: Mo i386
Apache 1.3.33
Perl 5.6.1

In particular, my <httpd.conf> file contains

<VirtualHost ...>
ErrorLog	"|/usr/local/src/errorlog/errorlog.pl >>/www/logs/error2.log"
</VirtualHost>

where <errorlog.pl> is as follows:
----------------------------
#!/usr/local/bin/perl

if (-s STDIN)
{
         print <STDIN>;
} else
{
	$lt = localtime;
         print "(MT) [$lt]\n";
}
         exit;
The net result is that the file </www/logs/error2.log> gets one or two messages
(rarely does it contains more) and then no more until the server is restarted.
No other ErrorLog directive uses this file.

I have tried it without the ">>/www/logs/error2.log" and with the perl script
opening, printing to, and closing the <error2.log> file directly -- same behavior.

This script is considerably pared down from the original which attempted to
filter out hacker attempts so I could see the important error messages.

What am I doing wrong???