httpd-users mailing list archives

From colin_e <coli...@bigfoot.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Win XP- Alias to network drive causes Apache -k to fail. Permissions?
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:40:42 GMT
Platform: Windows XP sp1
Apache: 2.0.52 (binary install)

I hit a problem configuring httpd.conf on my development machine at home.
I'd like to know if this is a permissions issue and/or a bug I need to
report.

Scenario: Apache itself (server root) and the document root are on local
          drives. However my home directory, including my devt. area for
          html files and scripts, is on a network drive (O:) mounted from
          a Linux machine via SMB.

Setup:    Add the following lines to httpd.conf-

	#
	# Testapp.
	#
	Alias /testapp/ "O:/Workspace/Work/Test_App/testapp/www/testapp/"

	<Directory "O:/Workspace/Work/Test_App/testapp/www/testapp">
	    Order allow,deny
	    Allow from all
	</Directory>

Symptoms: Attempts to start Apache as a service, using "Apache -k start"
	  or "net Start Apache2" fail silently. The command exits with
	  no on-screen error, and nothing is written to the Apache logs.
	  Apache does not start.

	  However cd to the Apache bin directory and run "Apache"
	  interactively and Apache starts up successfully.

My best guess is that this is a permissions/ACL problem. Presumably the
service runs as the Win equivalent of "nobody".

Unfortunately my background is Unix, and the vagaries of XP ACLs (plus
the mappings from Linux permissions to XP ACLs over Samba!) are a mystery
to me. Also i'm using XP home, which has essentially no tools to manage
ACLs anyway.

I've made sure that the Samba server has "o+rx" permissions on my
home directory all the way down to the target directory, but it still fails.

Questions-

1) Any known way around this, or am I going to have to copy my devt. files
   on to a local disk to get this working?

2) I reckon the fact that Apache fails to start without any sort of error
   output is a bug. Agree?

Help/opinions gratefully received.

Regards: Colin