httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas J. Holmes Jr." <...@tomholmes.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Perl or mod_perl
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:35:24 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 13:34:14 -0500, Thomas J. Holmes Jr.
><tom@tomholmes.net> wrote:
>

>>I have a Windows 2000 machine with Apache 2.0.52 and Tomcat 5.0.29 (with
>>mod_jk2_2.0.43.dll) working just fine together.  I even added PHP5 and
>>that works just fine being served from Apache.
>>
>>Now, I started by adding a hitcounter.cgi to my cgi-bin foler and
>>created a .shtml file to execute it.  I googled, used the Apache User
>>archives, and it finally dawned on me that I need Perl in order to
>>execute this .cgi file .... is this correct?
>>

>Only if hitcounter.cgi is written in perl.  The top line should tell you.

It is, it says #!/usr/local/perl     based on other messages here, and
the fact that I am on win2k and just installed perl, I changed this to
be #!c:/web/Perl/bin/perl.exe

>>So, I'd like to add mod_perl.so
>>

>No you don't.  I'd suggest the following:
>
>1. Find a hit-counter written in php or java.  No need adding a bunch
>of complicated stuff you don't understand when you already have a
>language capable of doing what you want; or
>
>2. Download perl only, not mod_perl.  mod_perl is not needed to
>execute perl scripts.  It is needed only to tie perl directly into
>apache for speed and flexibility.  It would be overkill for your
>particular use.
>
>I'm not a win32 perl expert, but I'd say your best bet is probably
>Activeperl, which is supposed to be well packaged.
>
>(Your last option is to forget about script hit-counters, which tend
>to make your site look ver 1998.  Just use a log analysis program to
>check the hits by processing your access.log.)
>

>Joshua.

Yeah, I agree that hit counters seem to be a thing of the past.  With my
own web-sites, I don't care how many hits I get or don't.  But, some of
the other sites I am hosting for friends want this information, so I'd
figure I give it (a hit counter) a shot.

I got Tomcat installed because I know Java, JSP, Servlets, and Struts.
With PHP, I want to create a PHP CRUD application.  I figure I might as
well start learning Perl also since so many sites and companies use
it.   As for the AWStats and Webalizer apps go for Log Analyzers, it
looks like these also use cgi-gin, so wouldn't I need to use Perl anyway
to parse the log contents.

Thanks for the help!

                                                     Tom