httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas J. Holmes Jr." <...@tomholmes.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Perl or mod_perl
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 18:34:14 GMT
I have a Windows 2000 machine with Apache 2.0.52 and Tomcat 5.0.29 (with
mod_jk2_2.0.43.dll) working just fine together.  I even added PHP5 and
that works just fine being served from Apache.

Now, I started by adding a hitcounter.cgi to my cgi-bin foler and
created a .shtml file to execute it.  I googled, used the Apache User
archives, and it finally dawned on me that I need Perl in order to
execute this .cgi file .... is this correct?

So, I'd like to add mod_perl.so ... so after doing some research it
seems like there are a few choices for Perl with Apache2 on a Windows
platform.    Does anyone have a peference?   Should I use ActivePerl?
What about the "Perl-5.8-win32-bin.exe" program I downloaded from
Apache.org, will this work?  I actually downloaded this and installed it
onto my system.  It came up with an application to modify my httpd.conf
file, but I'd rather do that on my own.

So, what is the recommended Perl binary/module for Windows?   How easy
is it to add (because PHP) took 5 minutes to do.   Also, please consider
that eventually I'll be moving Apache/Tomcat/PHP/and Perl to SuSe 9.1
Linix eventually.   At that point, I'll just install the standard Perl
language from installation.

Thanks.

                                         Tom