httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gustavo Córdova Avila <gustavo.cord...@q-voz.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] httpd question
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:33:24 GMT
Luke Shannon wrote:

>[...!SNIP!...]
>
>2 questions.

OK, shoot.

>1. (maybe a ridulus question) Does Linux treat folders named public
>differently than other folders?

Definitely!!!  (not!)

Nop, nothing really gets special-cased under linux, everything
is either a file, a filesystem directory, or a device (or pseudo-
device) mountpoint.

Unless "public" has some device or virtual filesystem mounted, it's
a plain directory, like anything else.

I really can't guess anything about this "public" directory which
is giving you headaches, without seeing your full httpd.conf file,
so I won't guess anything about it.  Just in case, search your
config file for "public" or "/public" and check what you find.

>2. Does windows follow the access rules in httpd.conf the same as Linux?

NO!  But it tries hard enough :-)

Actually, Apache under Windows does (or tries damn hard) to do
the right thing.  allow and deny clauses work as they should under
both platforms.

>Thanks,
>
>Luke

Yer Welcome.