httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gustavo Córdova Avila <gustavo.cord...@q-voz.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Windows vs Linux Differences
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:10:09 GMT
Luke Shannon wrote:

>Hello;
>
>The following addition to my httpd.conf file makes the content of the folder
>only accessable to the 2 IP addresses.
>
><Directory "/usr/apache/apache_1.3.27/htdocs/bolt">
>
>    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>
>    AllowOverride All
>
>    Order allow,deny
>    Allow from host 10.208.3.117 204.225.84.27
></Directory>
>
>I tried this is windows (no bolt, this time want to look out the whole docs
>folder):
>
><Directory "C:\Program Files\Apache Group/Apache/htdocs/">
>
>    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>
>    AllowOverride All
>
>    Order allow,deny
>    Allow from host 10.208.3.117 204.225.84.27
></Directory>
>
>In windows people are able to get through reguardless of their IP. Is there
>a difference between windows and linux I should be aware of?
>
>Luke

The problem here is:
    "C:\Program Files\Apache Group/Apache/htdocs/"

Apache is *never* going to locate this directory, because
of your mix of forward- and back-slashes; always use forward
slashes, Apache understands the difference between Posix and
Windows path separators, and makes adjustments.

As for *why* it's never going to work, it's because you're
actually specifying a directory called:

    "C:Program FilesApache Group/Apache/htdocs/"

And, since there's no backslash between C: and Program Files,
it's subject to the "current working dir" active when you ran
the Apache server...

Rather, use:
    "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs/"

HTH
--
Gustavo Córdova Avila <gustavo.cordova@q-voz.com>
<mailto:gustavo.cordova@q-voz.com>