httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Adam Ossenford" <a...@shomecom.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] upgrade question for a production Apache server
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:45:27 GMT

> I guess my real question is what do you all do to upgrade
> an existing production Apache server in a safe manner?

try on a test server first.  also, make sure to back up your /apache/conf
and /apache/libexec directories.  this will preserve your existing
httpd.conf mime.types and any other modules you compiled into your live
apache version.  then do your ./configure --all options that you want,
make, make certificate type=CUSTOM (if you sign your own).  stop your
apache server, remove the install directory recursively, ex.... rm -rf
/usr/local/apache.  then run make install.  cp your
/apache/conf/httpd.conf /apache/conf/mime.types back into your newly
installed apache directory, then cp over any additional modules you have
from /apache/libexec to /installdirectory/libexec/  and run
/installdirectory/bin/apachectl startssl

just my $0.02
--
Sincerely,

Adam Ossenford