httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Norton <...@oregonhanggliding.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.52 segfaults
Date Sat, 01 Jan 2005 00:45:01 GMT
On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 01:09:11PM -0800, Jim Norton wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I'm running a Gentoo Linux box and recently tried to upgrade PHP to the newest version
that fixes the recently found security vulnerability in PHP.

> Well, I also upgraded Apache from 2.0.48 to 2.0.52 and now when I try to start the server,
I get a segmentation fault.

> Anbyody have any idea at all how I can go about diagnosing what is causing this behavior?
>
> --
> Jim Norton - http://www.jimnorton.org
>
> "The art of listening is indispensable for the right use of the mind.
> It is also the most gracious, the most open and the most generous of
> human habits."
> (Attributed to R. Barr, St. John's College, Annapolis, MD)

I built apache 2.0.52 with debug symbols and used GDB. The following is what GDB had to say
about the seg fault:

jrn@hosting:/usr/portage/net-www/apache> gdb
GNU gdb 6.0
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu".
(gdb) exec-file /usr/sbin/apache2
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/sbin/apache2
(no debugging symbols found)...Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

0xb7b4ab6c in memcpy () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb) bt
#0  0xb7b4ab6c in memcpy () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0xb7cd9cbb in call_resolver () from /usr/lib/libapr-0.so.0
#2  0xb7cd9e33 in find_addresses () from /usr/lib/libapr-0.so.0
#3  0xb7cd9ead in apr_sockaddr_info_get () from /usr/lib/libapr-0.so.0
#4  0x0806dd78 in ?? ()
#5  0x080c836c in ?? ()
(gdb)

Anybody have any idea why this is  happening and how to fix it?

Thanks,