httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michelle Konzack <linux4miche...@freenet.de>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: redirect all requests to /dev/null
Date Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:19:08 GMT
Am 2004-12-31 11:23:05, schrieb Matthew Peltzer:
> Hi.  I'm using Apache/1.3.33 (Darwin), installed via fink.
>
> I had heard somewhere that online adverts could be blocked by use of
> /etc/hosts, so I added a few lines to my /etc/hosts file:
>
> 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net
> 127.0.0.1 ads.osdn.com
>
> Since apache is running on my machine, I now get either HTTP/404 error
> messages, or root directory listings (my DocumentRoot lacks a default
> page by design).  This is better than ads, but I know I can do even
> better.

What are you trying to do ?

> My idea is to route any requests originally to the hosts in /etc/hosts
> to a special file, such as /dev/null or perhaps a 1x1 black image.
> I've tried a number of things with <VirtualHost .../> and
> RedirectMatch and DirectroyMatch, but nothing works as desired, I
> either continue to get HTTP/404s or I can't access my local sites.

Blocking the Adds of other Servers has nothing to do with
your own Server, except, the addserver is your own... :-)

> Any ideas or pointers to similar setups?

I do not understand what you are trying to do.

If you like to block ADDs to be shown in your Mozilla/Firefox
Webbrowser go to <http://extensionroom.moz-dev.org/> and look
for "adblock" (use wirldcards and works perfectly...)

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi