httpd-users mailing list archives

From Andy Firman <a...@firman.us>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] upgrade question for a production Apache server
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:08:45 GMT
On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 02:45:27PM -0600, Adam Ossenford wrote:
> > I guess my real question is what do you all do to upgrade
> > an existing production Apache server in a safe manner?
>
> try on a test server first.  also, make sure to back up your /apache/conf
> and /apache/libexec directories.  this will preserve your existing
> httpd.conf mime.types and any other modules you compiled into your live
> apache version.  then do your ./configure --all options that you want,
> make, make certificate type=CUSTOM (if you sign your own).  stop your
> apache server, remove the install directory recursively, ex.... rm -rf
> /usr/local/apache.  then run make install.  cp your
> /apache/conf/httpd.conf /apache/conf/mime.types back into your newly
> installed apache directory, then cp over any additional modules you have
> from /apache/libexec to /installdirectory/libexec/  and run
> /installdirectory/bin/apachectl startssl

Thanks.  I have a test server and will do the upgrade on it first.
Your directions sound a bit risky, as I don't do this often.
But I want to have the right documentation before I proceed.
Just curious, how come there is no documentation on this here? :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/

Now the install file has one instance of the word "upgrade":

     Now its time to install the package under the configured installation
     PREFIX (see --prefix option above) by running:

        $ make install

     For the paranoid hackers under us: The above command really installs under
     prefix _only_, i.e. no other stuff from your system is touched. Even if
     you upgrade an existing installation your configuration files in
     PREFIX/etc/ are preserved.

I am one of those super paranoid ones and I want to know more about
this upgrade.  Since there is no real upgrade howto on apache.org
nor in the INSTALL file, I am still looking for how people upgrade thier
productions servers.   Since I don't do this very often, I want to
be sure that I do it correctly.  So more comments welcome....

Thanks again.  -Andy