httpd-users mailing list archives

From O-One <ola_...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache listening on :8081
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 23:21:26 GMT
I do not understand the part about the proxy. Can you possibly explain this to a novice please.

Thank you.

"Nelson, Robert D." <RDNelson@Mail.Donaldson.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install my Apache on a Windows 2003 Server. Knowing that
> Apache by default is on Port 80. If I put Apache on say Port 8081, is it
> true that because of that, when anyone needs to reach my site, instead of
> typing www.abc.com they must now type www.abc.com:8081

That's true.

> I need to use a port other than Port 80 to host Apache, if the above
> statement is true, is there a way to work around having to put the number
> at the end of the site name?

When a user doesn't type in a port number, the browser assumes :80. There is
no way around this. However, you could always proxy from a server on :80 to
your server on :8081. That usually works well.

~ Robert