httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. A. Viehweg" <apac...@myofb.ahhgo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SEARCH vs. GET vx. POST
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:58:07 GMT
On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 02:01:29PM +0100, Boyle Owen wrote:
> Allowed methods are defined in the spec (hint, hint..)If you check out
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Methods.html for example, you'll see
> that the SEARCH method is only proposed. So there's no requirement for
> the server to service such a request. Your apache responds with 414 (URI
> too long) presumably because the URI is too long. If it were shorter,
> you'd get a 501 Method not implemented.

Thanks for the hint...

OK, if it is only proposed, is there any server that actually implements
it?  If not, what are these (apparently stupid for trying something that
isn't even implemented) hackers trying to get at?

I suppose IIS (sorry for mentioning it) implements it and if you jam it
with 32K+ of crud you get the administrator password or something... :)

jaime