httpd-users mailing list archives

From "oxfordmusic.net" <li...@oxfordmusic.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Special chars question - SOLVED
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:35:47 GMT
>i have recently migrated a site from Apache 1.3.?? / PHP 4.3.2 / MySQL
>3.23.54 to a RHEL3 box running Apache 2.0.46 / PHP 4.3.2 / MySQL 3.23.58. i
>have started having problems with HTML entities which i did not have on the
>old box. now the versions of PHP and MySQL are very close so i'm assuming
>there is something in the Apache config which is changing this.
> basically, i'm reading text from the database which contains characters in
> their pure form (£) as opposed to HTML entities (&pound;). on the old
> machine, this would be displayed fine. on the new machine, they are
> displayed as a question mark.
> is this a simple change to my conf files?
> i know that technically, i should convert all special characters to HTML
> entities but there are a thousand places in my scripts where text from a
> DB is displayed and i was hoping to make the change via the conf files.

i *hate* answering my own posts as it just proves how hasty i was posting
and how little research i did, grrr, but anyway it seems Apache 2.* has a
AddDefaultCharset directive which was set to UTF-8. by changing this to On
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#adddefaultcharset) which
uses Apache's default i managed to solve my problem.

andy